Here at Momentous we partner with the best minds in human performance to create health solutions that help you optimize your active life. Our partners Kelly & Juliet Starrett of The Ready State have been pioneers in the human performance space for over a decade and a half. Their newest book Built to Move is THE first handbook for optimal living written for athletes and nonathletes alike. If you are a human looking to win the long game of life, this book is your guide. We sat down with them both to learn more about their new book and our shared mission of pushing the human performance industry forward.
Why did you write Built to Move?
After spending decades working with pro-athletes, Olympians, and Navy Seals, we began thinking about the physical well-being of the rest of us. What makes a durable human? How do we continue to feel great and function well as we age? And how do we counteract the effects of technology-dependence, sedentary living, and other modern ways of life on our body’s natural need for activity? Our bodies, after all, were built to move.
We set out to answer these questions and give people a functional, simple, proven method to help “rewild” the body- like any ecosystem, our bodies have an inherent design for optimal, pain-free functioning, and this book helps us achieve that natural state.
Who is this book for?
For everyone: if you’re in your 60s or 70s, this book will improve your mobility regardless of the shape you’re in; if you’re in your 20s or 30s, taking up these practices now will help ensure a lifetime of functionality and mobility.
What are some of the core ideas?
We came up with a simple formula for basic mobility maintenance: 10 tests + 10 physical practices = 10 ways to make your body work better.
Organized around ten assessments and ten physical practices that anyone can do, Built to Move is designed to improve the way your body feels—less stiffness! fewer aches and pains!— and boost the overall quality of your life, no matter how you spend your time. The book offers:
- Easy mobilization practices to increase range of motion and avoid injury
- Intuitive ways to integrate more movement into your daily life and escape sedentary habits
- No-fuss guidelines for improving nutrition and sleep
- Basic breathing practices to manage stress and pain
- Quick and simple assessments to gauge progress and what needs improvement
What do you hope this book accomplishes for people and the human performance space in general?
For people we hope that this book will help to:
- Improve your posture, help you lose weight, strengthen and stabilize your spine, help you avoid injury, and increase energy levels.
- Give you a series of simple, no-equipment tests to assess your vital signs-from your ability to sit on the floor to your diet and sleep habits to your balance. Each test is paired with a physical activity or routine to help you improve in that area.
- Prepare your body for whatever comes its way, from aging to injury to the usual physical aches and pains of our desk-bound lives.
- Recommend diet changes that are extremely easy to follow: lots of protein, fruits, and vegetables. As long as you’re getting the recommended amounts, you’re pretty much free to eat what you want.
For the human performance space, we hope Built to Move serves as an owner’s manual for the body that everyone should get at birth. The 10 Essential Habits it introduces are incredibly potent but easily adopted. Each habit features Test/Retest elements so you can track progress, plus a physical practice to work into each day. We believe that this book is going to change many lives for the better.
To get your copy of Built to Move check out the link below and start your journey!